Sunday, January 27, 2013

Getting Out by Cleopatra Mathis

The poem Getting Out by Cleopatra Mathis was the only poem from this unit that I understood. It is a poem about a couple that divorces each other, but still have feelings for one another. I can really connect to this poem because my parents got a divorce, and I think it is interesting how realistic the poem is on the topic. After the two are apart, the speaker states, "And in the yearly letter, you're sure to say you're happy now" (Mathis, lines 19-20). I find this comment to be quite ironic because from my own life experiences, I know that if someone says this they usually are not happy. I also find it peculiar that the couple still stays in contact even after their divorce. This is not something that usually happens unless children are involved in the situation. I found this poem to be very deep and self explanatory. It is a sad and somber poem, but contains some positive aspect because the two people obviously still care about one another. I really enjoyed reading this poem, even though it was accurate about a negative aspect of some relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment