Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Chapter V (pages 91-96)

Now that I am a little over halfway in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, I am going to give my opinion so far of the novel and point out spots of confusion. So far I think the book is very well written. I do not know what it is about the book, but the characters act and interact with each other as though a real people would. The novel is pretty easy to understand, but one point of confusion I have found is why Tom is cheating on Daisy with a less attractive woman. It just does not make since to destroy a marriage, especially when Tom has a daughter, for a less attractive and more annoying woman. Another point of confusion that I found in this section of Chapter V is that Gatsby makes comments to Daisy that would be considered creepy in today's society, and Daisy finds it sweet. While they are looking out the window Gatsby says, "'If it wasn't for the mist we could see your home across the bay... You always have a green light that burns all night at the end of your dock.'" Daisy responds by, "Put[ting] her arm through his abruptly" (Fitzgerald, 93). In today's society a comment like that would not go over well with a girl or woman. Other than these few points of confusion the book is fairly interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment