Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Picture Contest: The House of Mirth, Biltmore House


I visited the Biltmore House earlier this summer. This house was opened in 1895 in Ashville, North Carolina. I could not take pictures inside the house, but I was able to take a picture of me reading The House of Mirth on a fountain about a quarter mile away. The house itself sits on about four acres of land, while the estate stretches about to about 80,000 acres of land. Not only having over one hundred bed rooms and almost fifty bathrooms, the house also contains a library with 23,000-volume collection of books, a swimming pool, bowling alley, gymnasium, and acres of gardens. I found this house to be very interesting because the inside (although it is not shown in the picture) reminds me exactly of the type of lifestyle the characters in The House of Mirth lived. The house even had a dinning room designated specifically for "luncheon" similar to The House of Mirth. Although this home is a little bit more luxurious then the homes Lily Bart visited, I still found it interesting to experience how people during this time period lived. (I also have a pamphlet with information about the tour if Mr. Costello would like to see it).

No comments:

Post a Comment