Thursday, November 29, 2012

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley was yet again another story that frustrated me. The novel had so much promise due to its great plot and frame story structure, and Shelley completely ruined it through the actions of Victor. I just do not understand Victor's foolish actions because he caused every negative aspect of his own life. I have much sympathy for the creature because all he wanted was to have a loving family and companion of his own. Past just the conflict between Victor and the creature, I really enjoyed the romance that went on between Victor and Elizabeth. Shelley was able to do a good job at characterizing Elizabeth into what seemed like the perfect women who completed Victor. It came as a big surprise to me when Elizabeth said , "That I love you" (Shelley, 138). Then again Shelley let me down by killing off Elizabeth, which further irked me. Overall, I would have to say this was a well crafted novel. I found it very interesting how connected Victor and the creature were. Shelley was really able to pack a lot of events into a short amount of time, while also creating suspense with almost every situation. Furthermore, this novel was able to keep the reader entrained through the complexities of literary techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment