Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Glass Menagerie (Blog 5)

I actually enjoyed The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams. I am starting to like reading plays a little more than novels and stories because they are all based around dialogue rather than extraneous details. Williams did a great job at characterizing each person in the play, which helped to create a unique image of each character. I also liked how Williams made it very obvious what the symbols of the play were when he made comments like, "'But since I have a poet's weakness for symbols, I am using this character also as a symbol; he is the long delayed but always expected something that we live for'" (Williams, 1237). This helped me better understand the play and not get hung up and frustrated with the little details. Overall I enjoyed the play, but there is one area where I was displeased with the play. I felt as though there was almost no point to the play. Nothing really happened. The gentlemen caller showed up, and right when there was hope, he just left for his fiance. Plus the ending was just sort of weird how the play ended. Aside from that, the characters were unique, the sadness was minimal, and the play was an easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment