Thursday, September 20, 2012

Those Winter Sundays by Robert Hayden

Those Winter Sundays by Robert Hayden is a poem about a father who seems to be taken for granted. I am very confused by what exactly is going on in this poem. The father seems to work all the time and is never acknowledged for his hard work. There is slight personification when, "the [is] cold splintering, breaking" (Hayden, line 6). I do not understand why the cold is being given adjectives that cause the cold to be almost creating sound or moving. I get confused even more when the author says that he has to get up and get ready when it is warm. The tone makes it seem almost as if there is a negative home life, which causes the love between each family member to be grave and somber. I am able to pick up that the family is obviously not happy for these reasons, but I feel as though the poem just sort of stops before anything has really been stated. The author leaves me with multiple unanswered questions, so I have not observed much depth to this poem. Did I miss something important, because I feel like I could have written this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment